International Organization for Standardization (ISO) is an international agency established in the year 1947 in Geneva, Switzerland. Its objective is to publish international standards and ensure that products being provided to the public are of good quality and safe to use. As of April 2018, there are 161 member countries and each member country has a government regulated body to carry on the similar functions on the national level. For India, we have Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS).
What is BIS and what is the Purpose of BIS Certification?
BIS is a national body which maintains quality, safety and reliability of products in India. BIS has set up eight central, four Regional and three branch laboratories in the country for the purpose of testing samples of products during the preliminary and surveillance operations. BIS Certification is thus encouraged by the government for the following purposes:
- For providing a safeguard to the public health;
- For providing quality assurance;
- For protecting the consumer from hazardous products;
- For promoting consumer confidence.
What Products fall under the Category of Mandatory Products for BIS Certification in India?
Though the scheme is optional, yet the government in the interest of the public health and safety has listed products that mandatorily require BIS registration. As of April 2018, 116 of such products have been notified, in following groups:
- Household electrical goods
- Food and related products
- Oil pressure stoves
- Automobile accessories
- Cylinders, Valves, and Regulators
- Medical Equipment
- Steel and Stainless Steel Products
- Electrical Motors
- Electrical Transformers
- Chemicals and Fertilizers
Types of BIS Certification Schemes
BIS Certification is provided in India for products under different types of schemes as follows:
1. For Domestic Manufacturers
- Normal Procedure– The applicant is applying to the authorized officer as per the jurisdiction in which the manufacturing unit is located. After the recording of the application, BIS officers carry out a preliminary factory evaluation is carried out. Through this procedure, the BIS license should be expected within 4-6 months of recording of application.
- Simplified Procedure-This simplified procedure has been introduced so as to give pace to the procedure of granting of the license. Through this method, the BIS license is expected to be granted within 30 days of submission of BIS Certification application.
The simplified procedure is applicable for grant of license of All India First license cases and for all the products except for the following
- Products such as cylinders, valves, cement, etc., where a joint inspection or approval is required from another statutory authority;
- Products for which BIS license is granted on the basis of factory testing;
- Packaged Drinking Water (PDW) and Packaged Natural Mineral Water (PNMW).
- Eco Mark Scheme: BIS provides a license to environment-friendly products under a special scheme - ECO Mark Scheme. Thus, environmental products falling under this category should conform to the basic requirement under Indian Standard.
- Foreign Manufacturers Certification Scheme –Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) introduced the Foreign Manufacturers Certification Scheme (FMCS) in the year 2000 and has been continuing it since then. This scheme enables the overseas applicants/foreign manufacturers to use the Standard Mark on their products. A BIS license under this procedure is obtained in about 6 months.
BIS Certification Process under Various Schemes
What are the steps of Normal Procedure for Domestic Manufacturers?
- The prescribed application Form- I has to be filled out by the applicant. And submitted along with the application fee of Rs 1000 to the branch office of the jurisdiction in which the manufacturing unit is located.
- The additional documents that are required to be submitted with the application are:
- Document of Central/State Government (e.g. Registration Certificate, MoA etc) authenticating the address and purpose of the establishment of the manufacturing unit for which the application is made for grant of BIS license.
- In case the applicant applies as SSI unit, a copy of valid Registration Certificate from the Local / State authority or from a Chartered Accountant.
- Process Flow-chart covering all processes of manufacture (from raw material to finished product stage), including details of in-process controls at each stage, even for those stages which have been outsourced?
- A detailed list of manufacturing machinery, with the name of the machinery, the process for which it is used, capacity and quantity in the format provided in Annex A-1.
- In case some of the manufacturing processes are outsourced, provide details of such processes and the controls exercised by you before receipt of such material/components, etc. Also, attach an authenticated copy of the agreement.
- A complete list of testing facilities, clearly indicating the name of the equipment, the test for which it is used (mention clause No. of the Indian Standard), range / least count / accuracy of the test equipment, calibration status and quantity as per format provided in Annex A-2.
- Copies of calibration certificates of testing equipment valid for a minimum of 3 months from the recording of the application.
- Where applicable, ‘consent letter’ from BIS recognized laboratory (for requirements which have to be and/or are proposed to be got tested from outside lab for which the applicant does not have in-house test facilities).
- Plant Layout that mentions the location of manufacturing machinery, office, storage area, etc., available on the factory premises.
- Appointment letter of QC personnel indicating names, experience, qualifications, date of appointment and also attach a copy each of the qualification certificates.
- Copy each of the test reports/suppliers’ test certificates for each of the raw materials/components.
- Copy of in-house or independent test report (if available) for the product covering all requirements as per the relevant Indian Standard.
- In case the application is signed by the authorized signatory of the applicant, authorization letter from CEO in the name of the authorized signatory.
- Preliminary inspection of the unit is carried out within 15 days of recording of application. During this inspection the firm's manufacturing capability, quality, and controls with respect to the Indian standards. Samples of products are also drawn for testing in independent labs.
- The License to use the Standard Mark on a product is granted after the BIS has thoroughly ensured the product is in conformity to the relevant Indian Standards and has the capacity of holding on to the standards on a continuous basis. The initial validity period of the BIS license is one year and can be renewed for further period of one/two years, subject to satisfactory operation. The prescribed fees are notified on the official portal from time to time.
What are the steps of Simplified Procedure for Domestic Manufacturers?
- The documents required are as under:
The Applicant has to submit an application along with prescribed documents are to be presented together with the application fee (Rs. 1000/- plus applicable taxes) and special inspection charge
One application has to be submitted for one product and for one manufacturing location.
The license is granted if BIS is satisfied that the application form has shown the capability to manufacture and test the products as per the requisite Indian Standards.
Applicant must also agree to operate the prescribed scheme of testing an inspection and pay the marking fee during the validity of the license.
- Application Form as per the format provided in Annex I
- Self Evaluation Report as per the format provided in Annex II
- Undertaking under simplified procedure as per the format provided in Annex III
- Original test report(s) from the specified laboratory, not being older than 1 month mentioning all the requirements as per the relevant category
- Verification visit by the concerned BO is arranged within 15 days of the submission of an application to verify capabilities of the organization with respect to the Indian Standards.
During the verification visit, sample(s) of product from regular production are tested and sealed for testing in an independent laboratory.
However, the conformity of this sample does not form a pre-condition for grant of license.
After receipt of the test report(s) of the sample drawn during the verification visit, the case will be reviewed. If the sample is found failing, marking shall be stopped immediately.
- Grant of license is considered by the Competent Authority after verification of required documents submitted by the applicant. After processing of grant of license is complete, the applicant is advised to deposit the advance minimum marking fee and the annual BIS license fee within 7 days, after which the approval letter of grant of license is issued.
The process is expected to be completed within 30 days of submission of the application.
The initial validity period of the license is one year and may be renewed for further period of one/two years as per the guidelines of BIS.
What are the steps involved in the Foreign Manufacturers Certification Scheme?
- Application Form has to be submitted with the BIS in the prescribed format along with requisite fee and the documents.
The foreign manufacturer has to set up a branch office in India with the required permissions to the foreign manufacturer can nominate an Agent in India.
- Preliminary Inspection shall be carried out at the applicant’s manufacturing and testing units. Sample(s) will also be drawn for independent testing
- If the BIS is satisfied with all the requisites, the BIS Certificate shall be granted following which the applicant shall pay annual minimum marking fee and annual license fee. BIS certification will be valid for one year.
What are the Steps for Applying under the Eco mark Scheme?
The procedure for grant of a license by BIS under the Scheme of Ecomark is similar as for domestic manufacturer:
- Each application under the scheme of Ecomark shall be accompanied with a copy each of the following documents :
- Consent/environmental clearance certificate from the concerned State Pollution Control Board.
- Small-scale industries registration certificate if the application is from a small-scale unit who desires to avail the concessional rate of marking fee for the unit for the small-scale sector. This certificate may be issued either by the office of the Development Commissioner, Small-scale Industries, or Industries Department of the concerned State Government.
- If the applicant unit already holds a valid BIS certification mark license for a product and desires to get the new product covered under the Scheme of Ecomark, then the applicant has made a specific request to the Bureau which will take suitable steps.
- Under the Scheme, a single mark shall be the combination of the ISI Mark and the Eco-logo.
- The feedback received from consumer forums/organizations are also taken into account in assessing the performance of the licensee of the Eco Mark
What is Compulsory Registration Scheme (CRS) and its Procedure?
Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (MeitY) on 3 Oct 2012, issued “Electronics and Information Technology Goods (Requirement for Compulsory Registration) Order, 2012” with a list of 15 categories of electronics products. As per the Order, no person is allowed to manufacture or store the notified goods for sale or import or sell or distribute the notified goods, which do not comply with the Indian Standards.
Thus, manufacturers of the notified products without fail have to apply for BIS registration from the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) by following the prescribed procedure.
- Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) then registers the manufacturers under its registration scheme.
- The registered manufacturers are then allowed to declare that their product complies with the prescribed Indian Standards.
- The registered manufacturers are then allowed to state on their products that they conform with the Indian standards and/or use the Standard Mark notified by the Bureau.
- Compulsory Registration Scheme is operated under provisions of Chapter IVA of BIS Rules 1987.
- More categories are later are being added by further orders of MeitY. As of 1st April 2018, there are 50 products that fall into the category of products that require Compulsory Registration.
A. Who can Apply?
- Manufacturers of the products notified in the scheme which is located in India or outside India.
- The separate Registration number for products being manufactured at different locations.
- The separate Registration number for each brand being manufactured at the same location.
B. What Steps are involved?
- Applicants are required to apply online for grant of BIS Registration, filling up the Form VI.
- Test reports, in original, issued from labs recognized by BIS under CRS to be submitted with the application.
- the foreign applicants who do not have a branch office in India have to appoint an Authorized Indian Representative
- All applicant and the Authorized Indian Representatives have to submit an affidavit cum undertaking as per prescribed format
- The fee to be deposited as per the fee structure for CRS.
- Hard copies of the application to be submitted within 15 days of online submission, failing which the application shall be treated as closed.
- BIS will scan the applications and the queries on the application will be raised by BIS online. Applicants have to respond to them online. The shortcomings communicated, if any, have to be rectified by the applicant without any delay.
- Upon its satisfaction, BIS Registration is granted by BIS, which shall be uploaded on the applicant's portal.
- BIS Registration is initially granted for 2 years which may be renewed.
- Registered units are free to request for inclusion of new models of the same product and brand under the same license.
- The procedure usually takes about 20 working days.
We have an expert team extensively involved in the BIS Certification Process, so if you want to gain more knowledge regarding “How to get BIS Certification?” Then you can contact our BIS Certification Consultants.