What is FSSAI License Renewal?
FSSAI license is compulsory for every FBOs i.e. Food Business Operators in India. It is required to be obtained by manufacturers, distributors, transporters, retailers, petty hawkers, etc. involved in the food business. The FBOs who fall under the category and fulfil the requirement of the FSSAI Act, 2006 are expected to get the Food license from the authority. However, is it not enough to obtain the food license only, but it is equally necessary that the FSSAI license is renewed in time to continue running food business legally and comply with the FSSAI rules and regulations.
It is mandatory to fulfill legal formalities and comply with the requirement to have food license renewal. Every FBO is expected to hold an authorized food license so as to assure its consumers that the products are good for consumption and that they have complied with all the mandatory standards set down by the Act and Authority. According to FSSAI guidelines, all FBOs i.e. Food Business Operators have to appeal for renewal of the license 30 days before the expiry of the prevailing food license.
What is FSSAI Food License
FSSAI regulates food businesses under the regulations and guidelines provided in FSSAI Act 2006. If one owns a food business or is working in the food industry needs to obtain FSSAI license. Most of the people are likely to be unaware of the fact that FSSAI License renewal is equivalently important as that of getting the FSSAI License.
Ways to Renew Food License
A FSSAI License is required to be renewed in its validity period itself. Any business person who wants to start a business in the food industry or sector, be it food processing, manufacturing, packaging or distributing, has to file for FSSAI along with its renewal in every 1-5 years. One can obtain FSSAI license by way of following these steps:
- Directions for selecting the food license types
- Confirmation of FSSAI registration documents
- Registration and submitting FSSAI application online
- Acquisition of FSSAI food license
Once the approval is granted by FSSAI, then the Food License is issued with a validity of 1 year to 5 years. The Food Business Operator requires paying the fees from the date of issue of registration or license for the time and agreement according to the provisions. Within 30 days before expiry of the previous license, it has to be renewed for next 1 year to 5 years as the case may be. Any renewal application filed later on exceeding the period of 30 days after the expiry date shall have to accompany the late charge of ₹ 100 per day for each day of delay.
Benefits of issuing the FSSAI Renewal License
- First and foremost benefit of food license and its renewal is to maintain the safety standards and also it assists the FBO to reach the benchmark of international standards.
- FSSAI license and authorities can regulate and maintain the guidelines, also controls the violation of laws at a single access point.
- It boosts customers’ confidence and develops trust among them when a brand or a business is FSSAI registered, and it also helps to increase the goodwill of the business.
- As a buyer, consumption of safe and quality food which is approved by FSSAI food license is a priority.
- After getting license, one can expand its business in the international market as well very easily.
Process of Food License Renewal Online
The best form of procedure for FSSAI Food License Renewal is online. For obtaining the food license online, FBO has to follow these following steps:
Visit to website of Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI), and then register with FSSAI to create a user ID and password.
Once an online account is made, one can begin the application submitting procedure.
Further, upload all the required documents.
Thereafter, on submitting the application form, an application reference number is provided for keeping a track of the status of the application form for the renewal of license.
The user ID remains valid for 30 days for completion of all required formalities and documentation procedure.
Once all formalities get over, the issuance of Renewal License is done within 30- 60 working days by the authorities.
Offline Process for Food License Renewal
There is also a procedure to renew FSSAI food license which can be done offline. For getting a food license renewal offline, the following steps needs to be followed:
The FSSAI Food License is renewed by filing up an application Form A for Basic FSSAI registration and Form B for State and Central FSSAI registration accordingly.
Form is dispatched along with the self-attested declaration and copy of documents as mentioned under the regulations of the Food Safety and Standards Act (FSSAI).
The Authority on receiving an application sends the FSSAI officer for the examination and inspection of the place of food business.
After the completion of inspection, the inspecting officer on being satisfied with the standards and guidelines followed by the FBO, will transfer the application along with the report of the inspection to higher authority.
The authorities will then issue FSSAI Renewal License within 60 days after receiving an inspection report.
Documents for FSSAI Food License Renewal
- Address proof of place of business
- ID proof such as Pan card and Aadhaar card or Driving license, Passport, Voter ID card
- Passport size photographs
- Cancelled cheque and Bank account details
- Papers of property or rent agreement
- NOC’s by Municipality/ Panchayat, if any
- List of Directors, Partners or Proprietors as the business may be
- ID proof and Address proof of all the Directors and the Partners
- Copy of Partnership deed/AOA/MOA
- Form IX For nomination of persons by the company along with board resolutions
- Layout plan of the food processing unit
- For Manufacturer – List of Food Category
- Authority letter drafted by manufacturer
- Name and quantity of equipments installed in list by manufacturing and processing unit
Additional documents for Central License
- Possession proof – Electricity bill, sale deed etc
- Ministry of commerce certificate
- IEC documents issued by Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT)
- Supporting documentary for proof of turnover
- Analysis report of water consumed for the food
Important Factors for Food License Renewal Process
- An FSSAI registration validity period is of 1 year to 5 years. The application for renewal must be filed within 30 days before the expiry date of previous license.
- In case of the food industry which deals in the business of meat and milk, the source of the raw material is required to be considered.
- Hotels running restaurants, individual restaurants, etc. must get the FSSAI License. Hence, they also have to keep a check on renewal date of their license.
- The non-renewal for FSSAI license and ignoring the same would lead to a penalty.
What are the consequences of expiring food license?
- On the non submission of application for the FSSAI license renewal within the 30 days of specified time, Rs. 100 would be charged per day of delay.
- The application of a renewal license not applied within the specified period of time will be considered as expired. Hence, a new license needs to be obtained to maintain the business operations.
- The registration of License will remain valid till the time orders on the renewal application are processed, which certainly must not exceed beyond 30 days from the date of expiry of renewal registration.
- The expiry of license and non renewal of license will lead to seizure of the food business of the FBO.
- The FSSAI renewal license registration has to be made within 30 days before the expiration of the previous license to evade the charges of late renewal of food license.