How to renew FSSAI food license?
FSSAI license is indispensable for food business operator (FBOs) in India. It has to be obtained by manufacturers, storage units, transporters, distributors, retailers, petty hawkers etc. Those eligible as per requirement of FSSA Act, 2006 are required to obtain the Food license from the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India before commencing their food business. Also, is it not enough to obtain the license, but it is equally essential that the FSSAI license is renewed within time to be able to continue operating legally and comply with the FSSAI regulations.
It is very important to understand the legal formalities and compliance involved therein. Every FBO is required to possess a valid food licenses to ensure that consumers are provide with products that are safe for consumption and comply with the standards laid down by the Act and the Authority. The initial validity of the food license as chosen by the food business operators (FBOs) can be 1 year upto 5 years and accordingly the fee is decided. As per FSSAI guidelines every food business operator has to apply for renewal of the license 30 days before the expiry of the current food license.
What is the consequence if application of FSSAI license renewal is not made within the stipulated time?
If the application for FSSAI license renewal is not filed within stipulated time, then Rs. 100 for per day of delay would be charged. If the application of renewal of license is not been applied within the stipulated time then it considered as expired, and a fresh license would have to be applied for in case the business has to continue operations. Hence to avoid the penalty, it is advisable to renew the license in time.
The Registration or License will continue to be in force till such the time orders on the renewal application are passed, which must not be beyond 30 days from the date of expiry of registration or license.
What is the Procedure for FSSAI Registration/License Renewal?
- The first step towards FSSAI license renewal is filing up Form A (for renewal of basic registration) or Form B (for renewal of state/ central license) has to be filed with signatures of the authorized signatory.A government issued photo identity proof is also required to be attached along with the form.
- The application for FSSAI license renewal must be accompanied with an audit report/ FSMS plan/ Certificate/ Self-declaration regarding Food Safety Management System has to be filed together. Such declaration should be given on the letter head of the FBO/ firm/ company as per the prescribed format.
- Another requirement of the FSSAI license renewal is filing up of Form no. IX - Form of Nomination of Persons by a Company has to be filed in the format as prescribed.
- A declaration for signed by the Authorized signatory stating that the food business conducted shall conform to the Food Safety and Standards Act, regulation, bye-laws, notices and orders as may be issued by the authority and also stating that it shall comply with the Guidelines on Hygiene and Sanitary Practices provided under Schedule 4 of the Registration and Licensing Regulation published by the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India and to all subsequent guidelines issued by authorized person/ authority from time to time must be attached with the application for FSSAI license renewal.
- Upon receiving the application for FSSAI license renewal, the authorities would then examine it and if required, arrange for an inspection at the business premises to make sure that the details pertaining to the food business furnished are true and correct.
- The complete procedure of FSSAI registration / license renewal does not take more than 60 days.If it takes more than 60 days and you have not got any notice from the authority, then you can continue the business without waiting for any further communication
What Documents are Required for Basic Food License?
For Basic Registration
- Form A as prescribed by FSSAI Authority required to be submit and signed by FBO’s along-with supporting documents;
- 2 Passport size photographs of FBO’s;
- Identity proof like Pan card, Driving license, Voter id card, Passport, Aadhaar card, senior citizen card;
- NOC’s by Municipality/ Panchayat, health Department etc. if any;
- Rent Agreement if any.
What Documents are Required for State / Central Food License?
For State/ Central License
- Form B duly completed and signed.
- Photo and address proof of Proprietor/Partner/Director(s)/Authorized Signatory.
- Layout plan of the food processing unit;
- List of Directors with full address and contact details.
- ID proof and address proof for the above persons;
- List of food category (for manufacturers);
- Authority letter nominated by manufacturer to act on behalf of him;
- NOC from municipality or local body if any;
- For manufacturing and processing unit name and number of equipment’s as per installed capacity and horse power;
- Partnership deed/ or affidavit of proprietorship in case of company a copy of MOA and AOA as well.
- Source of raw material of meat and meat processing unit and source of milk and milk related products and milk collection center where it is applicable;
- For hotel industry certificate provided by Ministry of Tourism;
- For pesticide residue report of water for packaging of water like Mineral, carbonated etc.
- Ministry of commerce certificate for 100 % EOU; (in case of central license)
- IEC documents issued by DGFT; (in case of central license)
- Supporting documentary for proof of turnover; (in case of central license)
- Analysis report of water to be used in the food. (in case of central license)
- Possession proof is important (Electricity bill, sale deed etc.) (in case of central license)
- A canceled cheque.