How to Political Party Registration in India
Before popping your champagne in your new political party, get your political party register first. In India, you have to get registered with the Election Commission of India for commencing your party. Registration in India is mandatory for a political party following which it can avail the provisions of the Representation of the People Act, 1951.
Currently, India has over 1600 registered political party in which 400 of them were formed within the last five year.
According to the Act, the purpose of registering any association or body of individual citizen of India as a political party, the association or body is required to make an application to the Election Commission of India therein full particulars required under sub-section (4) of the section 29A of the Representation of the People Act, 1951 and additional particulars required under the Registration of Political Parties.
Grab a pen and pin it on the wall!
The application should be neatly typed or written on party’s letterhead if any and should be sent through registered post/ presented personally to the secretary of the Election Commission within 30 days following on the date of the formation of the party.
Any application made after the period will be acknowledged as time-barred under the prescribed law. It is to be clearly noted that all the pages of the application should be serially numbered including annexure.
Eligibility Criteria for Political Party Registration
As per the Election Commission of India, a new political party must have at least 100 members who will apply for political certification. Each member should have a voting card that clearly implies that individuals should be above the age of 18.
Application Procedure for Political Party Registration
As stated earlier, within 30 days of the formation of the party should submit an application for registration to the Secretary to the Election Commission of India, Nirvachan Sadan, Ashok Road, New Delhi- 110001.
The commission already has a prescribed Proforma; relevant guidelines are also available on the Commission’s website. The Election Commission will usually take about 4 months to process the request of the new political entities.
Constitution of the Political Party- Rules to be followed
- The name of the party should not contain any of the religion or caste
- The objective of the party should be in consonance with the constitution of India
- Membership in the party should be open to all adults, no person should be discriminated against for religion, caste or gender
- The power or function of the party or the decision making power should reflect democratic spirit- no veto power should be there
- Not more than one-third of the members can be nominated for more than 5 years of the period. Periodic elections within 5 years maximum
- Party funds to be utilized only for the political activities in which monthly accounts should be maintained
- The accounts should be annually audited by the auditors who are on the panel of CAG then the accounts should be submitted to the ECI within 6 months of the end of the financial year.
- A checklist with the clear answer against each item may be submitted with an application.
Procedure for Political Party Registration
The commission allows the public to raise objection against the political party within 30 days of the submission of the application if any. The representative or the applicant of the political party must issue a notice in the newspaper and declare their intention of forming a new party.
After the end of the 30-day calendar if no objection is raised the commission verifies the documents submitted by the party. Within 4 or 5 months the party representatives can watch the door to receive the registration confirmation.
Once the party got parked for registration with the commission, then it becomes obligatory for the party leaders to select an election symbol from the ones available with the election commission. If the members are not happy with the symbols and that doesn’t fit with their choice then the member can pick a symbol on their own or submit a sketch to the commission for approval.
Documents Required for Registration in India
- A Demand Draft of Rs 10,000 should be drawn in favor of the Under Secretary, Election Commission of India. The processing fee is non- refundable.
- The Memorandum and Article of Association of the party where the documents must include the provision regarding the “organizational elections at different levels at the periodicity of elections and terms of office and office – bearer of the party.
- A copy of the party’s constitution approved by the General Secretary/President/chairman of the party. The document should bear the seal of the signatory.
- An affidavit stating that no member of the party has a membership with any other political party registered with the Election Commission.
- Extracts from the latest electoral polls at least 100 members of the party as an evidence should be registered voters
- Individual affidavit of the member stating that the members of the party are registered voter and not a member of any other political party.
- In to the bargain, every office bearer should declare his wealth, assets or investment made by them including their spouse and children.
- Particulars of Bank Account and PAN in the name of the party furnishing
- A “No Objection Certificate” in the form of an Affidavit on stamp paper from the owner of the premises, where the party office is situated
- An affidavit showing personal information about their criminal antecedents in the preceding year,
Registering a Political party is no doubt a high task as it asks for a lot of attention, charity, and humanity after the registration. There will be the investment of trust and faith of the people of India. Registering your political party from the trusted site is your first brick of the party house. Make sure to have the right guidance.