NOC from Fire Department – An Overview
It is mandatory to secure NOC from fire department in order to comply with the requirements of the relevant state authority. Due to the amount of flexibility in the legal system, lot of conveyancing occurs which directly increases the amount of purchased properties in India. Commercial conveyance purchases also increase over the period of time. However, the owner of the premises or the landlord does not take adequate measures to ensure compliance is maintained with the Fire Department NOC.
The government of India has brought out different measures in order to ensure that every building which is ready for occupancy secures this form of NOC from Fire Department. In February 2010, there was a major fire incident in Bangalore- Carlton Towers which not only led to considerable property damage but also loss of life. Hence it is important to secure the NOC from the concerned state fire safety department.
Before securing this certificate, the concerned authority will carry out a detailed inspection procedure. Such procedures would ensure that the building is complying with the laws related to fire safety. Fire department issues the NOC after verifying the commercial or residential multi-story building of an applicant. Any form of apartment or multi storey building which is more than 15 meters have to compulsorily secure the NOC from Fire Department before carrying out any form of operations.
Usually the fire safety certificate is got by verifying the requirements of the building. After this an audit is carried out in order to ensure that compliance is maintained. Such audit is required to ensure that there are proper safety compliances with respect to avoiding fires and other forms of situations. This will include proper ventilation in the building, availability of fire hydrants, availability of fire hoses and water functioning systems in order to ensure compliance is maintained.
Standards related to Fire Safety Compliance (Fire Department NOC)
There are particular standards which have to be followed as prescribed by the state authority. These standards have been mentioned under the requirements of the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) and the concerned state government authority. Usually from time to time the Bureau of Indian Standards, issues certain guidelines which has to be followed by all buildings.
When the department carries out an inspection and audit, if there are safety standards related to fire safety compliance, then the NOC would be granted. However the requirement related to fire safety compliance depends from state to state basis.
Checklist for NOC from Fire Department
The following checklist has to be adhered and followed before securing a fire safety NOC or fire department NOC:
- Pre-Construction Requirements
These requirements have to be carried out by the applicant before commencing the construction of the building. The following are the requirements which have to be adhered by the applicant:
• The applicant must provide information on the name of the premises, location of the premises and other information pertaining to the premises related to area.
• Next the blue print or the sanction plan must be provided by the applicant. Along with this proof related to proper fire fighting systems must be provided.
• When the application is received by the department, a fire safety officer would be sent to the premises to ensure that fire safety compliance is maintained. Along with this a fire safety checklist and audit would be carried out to ensure compliance is maintained. This procedure would be carried out 10 days after receiving the application.
• If there are no issues related to this, then a provisional NOC would be provided to the applicant.
• If there are any form of recommendations and suggestions made by the fire department, then the same must be observed by the applicant. Such recommendations must be immediately implemented.
- Post Construction Requirements
Such procedures and processes would usually be carried out after the completion of construction of the premises. A compliance report would be submitted after this is carried out. The following requirements have to be carried out for a building which is completed:
• Usually the fire officer would carry out the requirements of fire safety audit. For this the technical officer would revisit the site to carry out some form of surveillance related to the building. After this certain recommendations would be provided by the officer to be forwarded to the head of the department to secure a final NOC.
• After the head of the department approves the application for NOC from Fire Department then a final NOC would be provided.
For example, if the builder is residing in Bangalore and wants to construct a premises, then before construction a provisional NOC from Fire department would be provided. This would be provided after the inspection of the premises is completed. Once the inspection of the premises is completed, a fire safety audit report would be compiled. When the builder commences the construction of the premises compliance with the fire safety audit report has to be carried out.
Once the construction is complete, there would be another inspection which is carried out by the relevant fire department of the state authority. After this is carried out a final NOC would be provided.
Why is it required to obtain NOC from Fire Department?
- When applying for a trade license to carry out trading activities having the NOC from Fire Department is an important requirement.
- All buildings have to have this form of license for carrying out different forms of activities.
- Fire Safety NOC ensures that safety precautions are in place so that no harm is caused to any individual.
- Ensures well being amongst the occupiers of the premises
Mandatory Institutions which require NOC from Fire Department
How to Get NOC from Fire Department?
The following steps have to be carried out in order to get an NOC from fire department:
- There are two modes of application for NOC clearance. These modes are the offline mode and the online mode.
- First and foremost, the applicant would have to go online, if the state authority requires applicants to utilise the online mode. However, there is an offline mode which can be utilised by the applicant. If the applicant uses the online mode, then all documents have to be submitted by the applicant. Along with the documents, fees have to be submitted online.
- The applicant can also choose to utilise the offline mode. If using the offline mode, then the applicant would have to submit the application in person to the Chief Fire Officer or the Fire Service Department for obtaining the fire clearance certificate.
- The following documents have to be submitted along with the application:
• Building Plan Layout or Blue Print Regarding the Proposed Construction of the Premises
• Site Plan including the analysis report of the property
• Model of Building
• Checklist which is prepared by the architect
• Aadhaar Copy
• PAN card of the applicant
• Photographs of the Full Building Clicked from Inside
• Outside Photographs of the Building
• Information related to wiring of the building
• Any other form of analysis as requested by the certified officer related to fire safety compliance
- Once the documents are received the Chief Fire Officer would verify the documents. After such documents are verified, then they would be forwarded to the chief officer of the concerned state authority where the jurisdiction exists.
- The inspector or the chief officer would visit the premises to carry out a report related to fire safety audit for the premises. After this step is carried out the Chief Inspector of the Fire Brigade would issue a NOC for the premises if all the measures related to fire safety compliance have been followed.
- Once the NOC from fire department is provided the same would be valid for a particular period of time.
How long will the NOC be valid for?
Once the NOC from fire department is provided it would be valid for a period of 3 years for commercial buildings and 5 years for any form of residential premises.
Renewal of NOC
Once the NOC expires the applicant would have to renew the same. The following steps have to be considered for renewal of NOC from Fire Department:
- If the application for the original NOC was made online, then the application for renewal also has to be made online. However, if the application for NOC was made offline, then the application for renewal also has to be made offline. The applicant would have to make an application for renewal in the same manner.
- With this renewal application form, there has to be a declaration given by the applicant that all the necessary electric installations are complied with by the applicant.
- If there is a delay in making an application for renewal, the following charges have to be paid by the applicant:
• 0-7 days delay- No charges would be levied
• 7-16 days delay- then charges of Rs.5 / day have to be paid by the applicant
• If the delay is more than 15 days: then more than Rs.15 per day have to be paid by the applicant for such delay.
- However, the penalty which is payable by the applicant would depend on the state wise requirements.
Documents Required for NOC from Fire Department
Every state authority has prescribed some form of documents which have to be submitted to the Fire Service Authority. However the following documents have to be mandatorily provided by the applicant in every state:
- Site Plan including the analysis report of the property
- Model of Building
- Registered office address of the business
- Fire Compliance Certificate
- Checklist which is prepared by the architect
- Aadhaar Copy
- PAN card of the applicant
- Photographs of the Full Building Clicked from Inside
- Outside Photographs of the Building
- Information related to wiring of the building
- Any other form of analysis as requested by the certified officer related to fire safety compliance.