The notification regarding Health Supplements, Nutraceuticals, Food for Special Dietary Use, Fo...
Water is an important part of our life. An average human being requires at least 4 liters of water every day, but with water pollution rising, it is difficult to trust the water available for drinking today. In order to ensure that the packaged water available in the market is safe for drinking, FSSAI (Food Safety & Standards Authority of India) has recently changed guidelines for packaged drinking water companies.
As per the new standards, the word “natural” has been added to the new sub-regulations. Going forward the label should read “Packaged drinking water” rather than “Packaged Natural drinking water”. According to the authorities, natural mineral water is unlikely to be consumed by humans. The water should be sold in packaged form by whatever names the company wants to sell for.
Also, as per the new amendments by FSSAI, the drinking water can be derived from various sources like local water supply, underground water, surface water, sea or any other consistent source of water. However, the manufacturers of drinking water companies need to abide by following guidelines for packaged drinking water before selling it to the market. These guidelines would ensure that the water available is absolutely safe for drinking and cannot cause any harm.
A number of microbiological contents present in water should be according to the approved standards of FSSAI so that the water meets health requirements. After the new regulations are in place, all the companies involved in manufacturing and packaging of water are required to submit all the details of their water processing unit so that the authorities can begin the approval process. Any violation of the safety standards would lead to legal actions against the company.
In a recent announcement made by the authorities, the packaged drinking water companies are required to obtain two different licenses to operate. One license would be issued by the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) and the other license would be issued by FSSAI itself. Companies operating with both the licenses confirms that their water is safe for drinking and has passed all the safety standards for filtration and standard quality packaging material is used that does not contaminate water in any way.
There will be surprise audits conducted by the authorities to ensure that the companies are operating as per the required standard. It is only after the testing and verification process of every ingredient in the packaged drinking water, FSSAI would issue a valid license. This would provide assurance to consumers that the water can be drunk without any doubts.
• Authority letter duly signed by the authorized signatory
• Blueprint/layout plan of the manufacturing and processing unit mentioning each and every dimension of the place
• Property ownership documents like rent agreement, sale deed, etc.
• FSMS (Food safety management system) plan or certificate
• Complete details of all directors/partners/proprietors along with photo id and address proof of each and every person
• Form IX: proposal of persons by a company along with the board declaration
• Water analysis report for water packaging companies
• Declaration form
• Login to the FSSAI website as a guest and fill out an application form A
• Make a payment for FSSAI application at the food business operating an office in your locality
• Once the payment is received and uploaded to the website, the person needs to fill Form B. While filling the form, you will be required to provide multiple declarations and resolutions
• Submit your application and follow up with the authorities for the status of the application
• In case if the application is received back for edits, make sure you respond within 15 days, else the application would be rejected
• The registration process takes 40 – 60 working days. During this process, the authorities will review your application and approve.
Do you wish to register for FSSAI License? Are you looking for the Food License Advisory? Would you like to know about the FSSAI laws? Please feel free to contact Enterslice, India Leading online legal and tax advisory firm