What is an FSSAI Registration?
FSSAI stands for the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India.It is the apex body for the FSSAI Registration and Licensing of food business operators (FBO) in India.The FSSAI is an autonomous organization constituted under the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India.It was established under the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006.
FSSAI Registration is mandatory compliance for all types of food business operators in India. It is compulsory to obtain an FSSAI registration before commencing any food business operation in the country.
The FSSAI provides a 14 digit registration or license number to the food operators to create an accountability for quality standards of food products. The registration compliance is divided into basic FSSAI registration and FSSAI license category.
The basic Registration category differs from a License category in terms of size and nature of business operations. The parties should obtain the applicable compliance before commencing the business operations.
Who Should Obtain FSSAI Registration?
The following individuals or entities are eligible for an FSSAI Registration or License
- All types of Food Manufacturer
- Food Packaging unit or Storage unit
- Wholesale or Trading or Online Food Business Operator
- Caters, Hotel or Raw material supplier
- Exporter and Importer of food products
- Transporter and Distributors
- Retailers of Food Product
FSSAI Registration/ License Types
The food business operators will be provided a 14 digit number by FSSAI after successful completion of the registration process.The FSSAI Registration has been divided into 3 categories based on criteria of business turnover.
There is an another criteria for obtaining registration or license.This criteria is based upon the production capacity of the food business unit irrespective of the turnover of the business.
Food Processing Units,Slaughtering Units,Meat processing Units are alotted their registration or license based on the latter criteria.
FSSAI Registration Category
(Petty Food Business)
Turnover upto 12Lac
(Medium Food Business)
Turnover 12Lac To 20 Crore
(Large Food Business)
Turnover More Than 20 Crore
- Basic FSSAI Registration- Basic FSSAI Registration is required for petty food business operators. It is also known as the Basic FSSAI License. The turnover of such business should not exceed the limit of Rs. 12 lac per annum.
A petty retailer, hawker, itinerant vendor or temporary stall holder are examples of this category.
- FSSAI State License - For the food license, Business with turnover between Rs. 12 Lac to Rs. 20 Cr. annually or/additionally. The turnover limit is the same for an FSSAI State trading license or an FSSAI State Manufacturing license.
- FSSAI Central License - For Turnover above Rs. 20 Cr in Case of Manufacturing or Trading or Storage beyond certain limited as specified by the law.
Documents required for FSSAI Registration
For Obtaining an FSSAI Basic Registration
- Photo Identity of FBO
- Pan card of FBO
- Supporting Documents (if any):- NOC by Municipality/Panchayat, Health NOC
- Declaration about the Business details in Form A
- Proof of possession of business premises
- Certificate of Incorporation /Partnership deed / Articles of Association etc
For Obtaining An FSSAI State & Central License
- Form-B Duly completed and signed
- Blueprint/layout plan of the processing unit (Manufacturing and processing unit only)
- List of Directors / Partners / Proprietor / Executive Members with contact details and photo ID (Companies only)
- Details of the machinery to use for operations (Manufacturing and processing unit only)
- List of Food categories to be manufactured (Manufacturing unit only)
- Authority letter from the manufacturer in favor of the nominated person with authority
- Analysis report of water to be used in the manufacturing of food items (For Manufacturing and processing units)
- Proof of possession of premises
- Partnership Deed/Affidavit of Proprietorship/MOA /Incorporation
- Copy of certificate obtained under the Coop Act (Co-operatives only)
- NOC & Copy of License from the manufacturer (For relabelers and repackers only)
- Food Safety Management System plan and Recall Plan (If applicable)
- Source of milk and meat (If applicable)
- NOCs from Municipality or local body
- Certificate provided by the Ministry of Tourism (HRACC). (Mandatory for Hotel Only)
- Form IX
- Declaration Form
- Ministry of Commerce Certificate for 100% EOU
- Supporting documentary proof for Turnover
- NOC/PA document issued by FSSAI
- IE CODE document issued by DGFT (For exporters and importers)
Additional Document for Central License
Procedure for FSSAI Registration
For Basic Registration from FSSAI
- This registration can be obtained by applying to the food and Safety Department.
- The application shall be submitted in Form A.
- If the application is accepted or rejected it shall be intimated by the Department within seven days from the date of submission of the application and should be intimated in writing.
- The registration certificate granted by the Department after accepting the application shall contain the registration number and the photo of the applicant.
- At the time of carrying on the food business, the Food Business Operator should prominently display the certificate of registration at the place of business.
For an FSSAI License
- To obtain an FSSAI License, the Food Business Operator shall make an application to the Licensing Authority via the FSSAI online registration process.
- This application is made in food license application Form B.
- The application should be annexed with self-declaration, affidavit, and Annexure as applicable.
- This license is granted for a period of 1 to 5 years as the time limit requested by the food business operator.
- Higher the period for which license is obtained the higher would be the application fees.
- The license can be renewed by making an application.
How Enterslice will help you to get FSSAI Registration
Fill The Form
Get a Callback
- Fees for FSSAI Basic Registration -Rs. 100 p.a.
- Fees for FSSAI state license- 2000 to 5000 P.A (State-wise variation exists. For actual fees, you can make inquiry from FSSAI License consultant)
- The Fees for FSSAI Central License is Rs. 7500/- p.a.
Penalty for Non-Compliance
The food business operators are compelled to follow the standards prescribed by FSSAI about the operations of food businesses. Any failure to following the guidelines established by FSSSAI can attract FBO to be liable for a penalty.
Penalty for sub-standard food.
Up to 5 lakh INR
Penalty for misbranded food
Up to 3 lakh INR
Penalty for misleading advertisement
Penalty for Food containing extraneous matter
Food quality not in compliance with act
Petty manufacturer – 25,000
Penalty for failure to comply with the directions of Food Safety Officer
2 lakh INR
Penalty for unhygienic or unsanitary processing or manufacturing of food
1 lakh INR