Overview on FSSAI Registration
The FSSAI stands for Food Standards and Safety Authority of India, which is the supreme authority responsible for regulating and supervising food safety. It is necessary for all the Food Business Operators (FBOs) in order to obtain a Food Licenses or FSSAI License. Food safety license lays down science-based standards for the articles of food, and it also regulates their manufacture, storage, distribution, sale and the import in order to ensure safety.
In a video below, we have explained all types of FSSAI Registration (basic level , State level & Central level) in a layman term. A detailed step by step process for obtaining FSSAI Food License in India.
What is the FSSAI Registration?
According to Section 31(1) and 31 (2) of the FSS Act, 2006, every FBO (Food Business Operator) in the country is required to be licensed/registered under the Food Safety & Standards Authority of India.The authority is responsible for creating an information network across the country so that the public, consumers, etc. receive rapid, reliable and accurate information about the food safety and also hygiene and the other related issues of concern.
FSSAI Registration is required for the petty food manufacturers such as an itinerant vendor, petty retailer, temporary stallholder or small or cottage scale industry. FSSAI registration is mandatory when an annual turnover less than and up to 12 lacs. All food businesses having income more than 12 lacs are required to take a license. Every food business operator involved in the storage distribution processing, manufacturing and sale of food products must compulsorily obtain FSSAI Registration or License.
FSSAI Registration is different from FSSAI License as it depends upon the size and nature of the business, FBO has to obtain the necessary registration or license. There is 14-digit numeric registration or a license number which is printed on all the food packages. This registration procedure gives authenticity for the quality of the food products, and FBO has to maintain it.
Who must obtain FSSAI Food Registration?
All food businesses having income less than 12 lacs are required to take an FSSAI registration. Some are as below:
- FBO, who has a business as a retailer, supplier, distributor, wholesaler, and, food vending establishments. And also a business of canteen, club, Dhaba, restaurants, and hotels with an annual turnover of less than Rs. 12 lakh.
- Petty food manufactures
- Small stalls selling food items.
- Businesses involved in selling food for religious and social gathering
- Cottage industries that are selling food items
- Production or processing units of vegetable oil and refineries include oil expeller system. The capacity has to be less than 100 kg/litre a day (except meat or milk).
- Dairy units, involved in /collection/ procurement / chilling/handling of milk, having a capacity has to be less than 500 litres a day or up to 2.5 Metric Ton of milk solids.
- Slaughter shops having not more than 2 large animals or 50 poultry birds or 10 small animals in a day.
Process for Obtaining FSSAI Registration
- STEP 1- Small scale business operator submits an application form in Form A along with the fees of Rs 100
- STEP 2- Then the operator receives a Unique Application Reference Number
- STEP 3- Thereafter, RA (Registering Authority) may grant or reject the registration within 7 days of receipt of the application, after recording the reasons thereof.
- STEP 4- Before granting the registration, a Registering Authority (RA) may also order an inspection of the application form within 7 days of receipt of application. Such inspection has to be completed within 30days.
- STEP 5- Finally, when the Registration is granted, then FBO can start the business.
Types of FSSAI Registration and FSSAI License in India
FSSAI Registration Category
(Petty Food Business)
Turnover upto 12Lac
(Medium Food Business)
Turnover 12 Lac To 20 Cr.
(Large Food Business)
Turnover More Than 20 Cr.
- 1. Basic FSSAI Registration
This is a basic type of registration which is required for the small business persons includes petty food manufacturers, retailers, suppliers and distributors. This registration is mandatory for the business which has the turnover less than or up to Rs. 12 lac per annum.
- 2. State FSSAI License
This is a type of license which is required for the food business which has an annual turnover between Rs. 12 Lacs to Rs. 20 Crore per annum. The turnover limit is the same for the FSSAI State trading license or FSSAI State Manufacturing license.
- 3. Central FSSAI license
This is a type of license which is required for the food business which has an annual turnover above Rs. 20 Crore in case of trading or storage or manufacturing beyond certain limited as specified by the laws.
Who must obtain FSSAI Food and Safety License
State Food License
- FBO, who has a business as a retailer, supplier, distributor, wholesaler, and, food vending establishments with an annual turnover between Rs. 12 lakh to Rs. 20 Crores
- Production or processing units of vegetable oil and refineries include oil expeller system with turnover within Rs. 12 Lacs to Rs. 20 Crores
- 4-star rating Hotels
- Dairy units, involved in /collection/ procurement / chilling/handling of milk, having a capacity between 500 litres to 50,000 litres or up to 50,000 metric tonnes yearly
- Slaughter shops having more than 2 large animals to 50 large animals. And has the capacity of 50 to 1000 poultry birds or 10 to 150 small animals in a day.
- Food processing units, including the daily capacity of more than 100 kg/litre to up to 2 metric tonnes.
Central Food License
- FBO, who has a business as a retailer, supplier, distributor, wholesaler, and, food vending establishments with an annual turnover above Rs. 20 Crores
- Production, manufacturing or processing units of vegetable oil and refineries include oil expeller system with a capacity of over 2 metric tonnes per day.
- Wholesalers who have an annual turnover of more than Rs. 30 crores.
- 5-star hotels
- Caterers who are working under Central Government for Railways, Airport, Seaport, Defence etc
- Dairy units, involved in /collection/ procurement / chilling/handling of milk, having a capacity over 50,000 litres a day or more than 50,000 metric tonnes yearly
- Slaughter shops having more than 50 large animals. And has the capacity of more than1000 poultry birds or more than 150 small animals in a day.
- Food processing units, including the daily capacity of more than 2 metric tonnes excluding the grains, pulses & cereals milling units
Procedure for obtaining FSSAI License
- STEP 1
Food business operator submits an application form to the Licensing Authority via the FSSAI online registration process in Form B along with the fees
- STEP 2
Then the operator receives a Unique Application Reference Number
- STEP 3
The application must consist of Affidavit, Annexure and additional information as applicable.
Thereafter, the person will receive the Unique Application ID
- STEP 5
The authority does an inspection after the receipt of an application, if considered necessary and issues an inspection report.
- STEP 6
Finally, the grant of license within 60 days after completing all the formalities.
Documents for FSSAI registration
Basic FSSAI Registration
- Declaration form
- Authority letter
- Copy of the property paper (if owned)
- Copy of Rent Agreement (If rented property)
- Electricity bill or water bill of business place
- Identification proof of proprietor or partners or directors like Aadhar Card, or Voter ID card
- Form X for the designation of persons by a company with the board resolution.
Central and State FSSAI Licence
- Declaration Form
- List of Partners, Owners, and Executive Members of Society with full address Latest
- Identification proof such as Aadhaar Card or Voter ID card
- PAN Card
- Address Proof such as Telephone, Mobile Bill, Electricity or Gas Bill
- A Copy of Property papers (if owned)
- A Copy of Rent Agreement and Landlord’s NOC (if rented)
- Partnership Deed/ MOA/AOA of the firm
- NOC from the manufacturer (in case of Distributor)
- NOCs from Municipality or local body
- E-Code document issued by DGFT
- Form IX Nomination of persons by a company
How Enterslice will help you in FSSAI Registration
- Enterslice helps in providing various services regarding the FSSAI registration process.
- While helping in FSSAI registration, we fill the form on behalf of our client and help in submitting the documents.
- We keep track of the whole process and continue to guide for helping our clients.
- We maintain high touch communication with our clients and promptly reply to them.
- We at Enterslice also help our clients after post incorporation compliance services.
- FSSAI Basic Registration fees Rs. 100
- FSSAI state license fees Rs 2000 to 5000 which varies from state to state
For actual fees, you can make an inquiry from FSSAI License consultant
- FSSAI Central License fees Rs. 7500
Penalty for Non-compliance
The food business operators are compelled to follow the standards prescribed by FSSAI about the operations of food businesses. Any failure in following the guidelines established by FSSAI can attract FBO to be liable for a penalty.
Penalty for sub-standard food.
Up to 5 Lacs
Penalty for misbranded food
Up to 3 Lacs
Penalty for misleading advertisement
Penalty for Food containing extraneous matter
Food quality not in compliance with the Act
Petty manufacturer – Rs 25,000
The penalty in case failure to comply with the directions of Food Safety Officer
The penalty for unhygienic or unsanitary processing or manufacturing of food