What is World Manufacturer Indentifier Code?
World Manufacturer Identifier (WMI) code to given to Indian Automotive Manufacturers for their worldwide identification by the BIS authority in India who is a member of International Organization for Standardization. The WMI code constitutes the first section of the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) / chassis number and in conjunction with the remaining sections of VIN ensures uniqueness of the VIN for all the vehicles manufactured across the world. WMI code may be a combination of alphabetical or numerical characters. International Relations and Technical Information Services Department of BIS provides the service of assigning WMI code to Indian Automobile manufacturers in collaboration of the Society of Automotive Engineers Inc., USA, and the international agency responsible for the maintenance of the WMI codes.
Vehicle Identification Number
It is also knows as VIN, is a unique serial number used by the automotive industry to identify individual motor vehicles. Earlier before 1980 there was no prescribed standard for these numbers, so different manufacturers uses different formats. Now a days VIN consist of 17 characters which do not include the letters I, O or Q. In VIN system currently two standards are issued there are currently two related standards which are issued by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) in 1979 and 1980, ISO 3779 and ISO 3780. In order to provide unique identification numbering system for road vehicles the ISO defines the structure and content of VIN .
Components of VIN
- VIN contains 17 Digits
- 1-3 Digits – World manufacturer Identifier Number
- 4-9 digits – Vehicle Description Section
- 10-17 digits – Vehicle Indicator Section
The BIS and the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) in the US assigns/registers WMIs to countries and manufacturers. The First character of the WMI is the region in which the manufacturer is located.
Procedure for WMI Registration
- Application must be submitted in the prescribed along with the requisite fee along with the supporting documents.
- The documents is verified by the BIS officer and the receipt of the same is given
- Proposal of WMI code as per the series and entry of the same in the BIS data base
- Registration with SAE international , USA
- Confirmation letter from SAE international
- Communication of WMI to the applicant.