India has laws that help in ensuring that food is safe and hygienic for human consumption. Hence, food businesses should possess relevant licenses to function. It goes the same for the fruit business as well. You will need FSSAI License for engaging in the fruit business. Further, the most crucial authority that handles and regulates the food business in India is the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India. If you are planning to start a fruit business in India, then go through this article.
What do you mean by FSSAI License?
FSSAI stands for Food Safety and Standards Authority of India. The autonomous body works under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare and functions according to the FSSAI Act 2006. The body has the authority to monitor all companies that are under the food sector and ensures that they adhere to the guidelines provided. An entrepreneur who wishes to start a fruit business in India should get the FSSAI License.
There are essentially three kinds of this License. They are:
- FSSAI Basic Registration– This is required for those FBOs whose annual turnover falls below 12 lakh rupees;
- FSSAI State License– This is required for those FBOs whose annual turnover is more than 12 lakh rupees and less than 20 crore rupees;
- FSSAI Central License– This is required for those FBOs whose annual turnover is more than 20 crore rupees.
Documents required for Fruit Business in India to obtain FSSAI License
The documents required may vary depending upon which license you have applied for.
For FSSAI Registration
- ID Proof;
- Passport Sized Photograph.
For State or Central License
- ID Proof;
- Proof of address;
- Import/Export Code;
- List of all Directors or partners;
- Certificate of Incorporation;
- Passport Size Photograph;
- Memorandum of Association;
- Articles of Association;
- NOC from the municipality.
How to obtain FSSAI License for fruit business in India?
The following steps may be followed to obtain this license for fruit business in India:
- Depending upon your business, decide what kind of license suits you;
- In case you have any confusion regarding the same, you are advised to seek the assistance of a professional. They can answer your queries and guide you through the complete process and also throw light on the kind of license you require;
- Collect all the necessary documents that has to be uploaded upon knowing the type of license you need;
- Recheck all your documents, application form, etc. and file for the license through FSSAI’s official portal;
- There could be a possibility where the authorities would want to gather further proof or may have any question or would want to inspect the location. In that case, you will have to facilitate their demands;
- The approval process may take up to 20 days for a basic license;
- When it is approved, a digital and a hard copy of license is sent to your address.
The online process, therefore, helps users to have a user-friendly experience.
What is FSSAI’s Clean and Fresh Fruit and vegetable market Initiative?
FSSAI has launched this Clean and Fresh Fruit and vegetable market Initiative to ensure the availability of hygienic fruits and vegetables across the country. Hence, it looks to upgrade the unorganized retail sector comprising of pavement vendors and pushcart fruit sellers. Both parties are expected to benefit significantly by integrating them with organized retailers like Big Bazaar etc.
Below we have provided the basic guidelines of the program:
- All fruit, as well as vegetable vendors, are required to register under the Food Safety and Standards Regulations 2011.
- The vendor is required to display their FSSAI License number with a green colour code on their shop, cart, or kiosk.
- The vendors are not permitted to sell fruits ripened artificially through carbide and acetylene gas.
- Those stickers that don’t have relevant information must not be used directly on the products.
- The fruits as well as vegetables must be free from harmful chemicals or mineral oil and other colouring material.
- Beeswax, carnauba wax, or shellac wax can only be used to apply a coat of wax on the fruit. Every packaging should have the label- Coated with Wax + Name of Wax.
- All vendors should position their cart or kiosk away from high environmental pollution zones.
- A third party laboratory should, every six months, analyse the water quality used in order to ensure safety.
- The vendors are required to maintain records of details about their suppliers.
It may be noted that the local authorities, under this project, shall recommend suitable markets and vendors to FSSAI. The state FDA officials shall then audit and inspect the location to understand its needs. The officials shall then implement the required changes and train the vendors to follow the above mentioned guidelines.
The FSSAI Panel shall conduct another audit after the implementation of the changes to ensure compliance with the food safety and standards. If it passes, the market or the vendor shall receive a clean and fresh fruit and vegetable market certification for a year. Hence, the office shall conduct routine monthly checkups to make sure that the standards are maintained.
What are the benefits of obtaining FSSAI License?
The benefits can be summarized as mentioned below:
- Having this license can help you to improve your policies by providing you a set of guidelines to follow;
- It can give you access to research studies and proof that can help you raise your standards of fruit business;
- It shall provide you with new and updated knowledge that can help you bring progress to the food safety and standards;
- It can help businesses in reaching international benchmarks for food safety;
- Having this license can help you gain more customers, thereby expand your business;
- It helps in building good relationship with buyers by assuring them of the quality of fruits;
- It can save you from falling in legal troubles and penalties.
Every food business operator, whether fruit business, require FSSAI License. Operating without such license can invite legal trouble. Therefore if you are planning to run a fruit business in India, get the license today.
Read our article: What is the Difference Between FPO and FSSAI?