FSSAI Packaging and Labeling Regulations in India
FSSAI Packaging and labeling regulation came into force to secure the health and safety of the community at large. In this article, we will discuss the FSSAI guidelines for Packaging and labeling.
In Common language, packaging means protecting products. It is the process of designing and producing packages. It contains, protects, preserves, transports, informs and sells.
With the growing concern over the health risks that are involved in the consumption of packaged food, the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) is now stringent on the regulatory norms related to FSSAI packaging and labeling requirements. After obtaining the FSSAI License from the FSSAI Department.
Specific Requirements for FSSAI Packaging:
|Type of Product
||Packaging Requirement as per the Act
|Milk and Milk Products
- Bottling or filling or sealing of container shall be automatically or mechanically
- Wrapping and packaging should not be reused
- After packaging dairy product should be stored
|Edible oil/ fat
- Tin container used for packaging shall conform IS no. 10325 or 10339 and manufacturing of tin container shall conform BIS standard
|Fruits and Vegetables Products
- Fruit bottle shall be sealed with the specified identified mark
- Pulps and juice can be packed in wooden barrels. Pickle should be packed in proper clean bottles or in a jar or wooden casks or in containers covered from inside with polyethylene lining of 250 gauge
- Candied fruits and peels and dried fruits and vegetables shall be packed in paper bags, cardboard, new tins.
|Canned Meat Products
- Cans shall be made from suitable kind of tin plate and shall be lacquered internally
- Cans used for filling pork luncheon meat shall be coated internally with edible gelatin, lard or lined with vegetable parchment paper before filling.
Packaged and Mineral Water
- Bottles/containers shall be made of polyethylene (IS:10146)
Every food, which is placed in a package of any natural food and which is ready for sale to the consumer shall carry a label containing following information required by the FSSAI Packaging and Labeling Regulations.
- The declaration shall be in English or Hindi in Devnagri script;
- The label which is mentioned should be correct and it must not be, misleading or deceptive or is likely to create an erroneous impression regarding its character;
- The label shall be applied in such a way that cannot be separated from the container;
- Contents on the label shall be clear, prominent and readily legible;
- License number shall be displayed on the principal display panel;
- The Label Should contain the name of the food with the trade name and food description;
- List of Ingredients used in the food shall be displayed on the product. The name of Ingredients shall be listed in descending order with weight and volume. Specific ingredient disclosure would require disclosing to the specific food product.
- Nutritional per 100gm or 100ml or per serving of the product should be given on the label with the amounts of protein-carbohydrate and details of fat. The nutrition information is not necessary in case of raw agriculture commodities like wheat, rice, herbs, table salt, sugar or non-nutritive products like soluble tea, coffee, pre-packaged assorted vegetables, etc.;
- Every package of Non-Vegetarian product meat, fish or chicken or any other non-veg product should contain declaration a symbol and color code as stipulated in regulations to indicate that the product is Non-Vegetarian Food.
- Food additives falling in the respective classes and appearing in lists of food additives permitted for use in foods should be displayed;
- Name and complete address of the manufacturer shall be disclosed. If the bottler or packer is not a manufacturer than name and address of package shall be disclosed along with the manufacturer. Further, the details of importer shall be disclosed if the food is imported into India;
- Net quantity by weight or volume or number shall be declared on every package of food;
- A production batch number or unique code number or manufacturing lot number which is a mark of identification by which the food can be traced in the manufacture and identified in the distribution shall be given on the label.
- Manufacturing date, month and year shall be given on the label;
- The details of best before use or due date shall be mentioned on the label.
The Manner of Declaration:
- The information displayed in label shall be legible, prominent, plain and unambiguous.
- All the information should be grouped and given in one place in such manner specified under regulation.
- The height of numeral in the declaration should be 1mm to 8mm depending upon the product.
Exemptions from Labeling Requirements under FSSAI
- Package of the Surface area of packaging less than 100 square centimeters: no need to disclose a list of ingredients, lot number or batch number, nutrition information, instruction of use.
- Package of the Surface area of package less than 30 square centimeters: date of manufacture or best before a date or expiry date not required to display.
- Liquid products marketed in bottles: if mentioned to reused for refilling no required to mention a list of ingredients. Further glass or bottle manufactured after March 19, 2009, then the need to mentioned nutrition and list of ingredients.
- Product shelf-life is less more than seven days: Date of manufacture not required but used to date need to mention.
Since consumers have become aware of food safety and prefer eating and purchasing food that is FSSAI licensed and approved and FSSAI Packaging and labeled.