Food License for Export of Food Products
India exports a lot of products outside the country and is known widely in the world market for the products that it sends to foreign markets and countries. It is very famous for exporting food items that are produced in the country and is a speciality of a particular region in India. Whenever you export food product, you require FSSAI License from the FSSAI Authority. But before briefing about Food license for Export, we will elaborate on the market scenario of export of food items.
Market Scenario of Food Industry in India
In India, the food industry has resulted in high economic growth. The government has taken major steps to develop the food industry by the foreign collaborations, industrial license, 100% export oriented units, joint ventures etc. The food sector accounts for 32% of India’s food market.
Government Focus on Export of Processed Food Products
- Today, India is one of the largest producers of milk, rice, groundnuts and various fruits and vegetables such as mangoes and eggplant. India is now exporting fresh and processed food products which comprise of fruit and vegetables; spices; meat and poultry; milk and milk products, alcoholic beverages, fisheries, plantation, etc. to a number of developed and developing country markets including.
- The government of India regularly takes initiatives to promote food sector and export of fresh and processed food products. As per the Department of Commerce’s foreign trade performance analysis available at http://commerce.gov.in/ there has also been an increase in India’s export of freshly processed food products during FY 2016-17 after the downfall in the last few years.
- In order to promote the export of processed food products government granted incentives on the installation of plant and machinery for food processing which has encouraged the processing of fruits, vegetables, and juices. The GST rate of 18% on air freight of fresh vegetables has also been removed recently
- Above all, the food items exported from the country need to be registered and licensed under the FSSAI and health ministry in order to gain the trust and confidence of consumers and ensuring the product quality and standards.
Food License for Export
In order to export the food products, the food license for export is required from FSSAI Authority.
Following the simple procedure to be followed and become capable of exporting food items:
- Register your Company
- Obtain IE Code at http://188.8.131.52:8080/dgftiec/IEClogin.jsp under DGFT
- Get the NOC regarding the food quality and compliances of regulations introduced by the FSSAI Authority for food safety
- Approval regarding the food item
- An export license from Central Licensing Authority
In order to ensure that the food products exported outside India are informative and are acceptable in the foreign market. Following information to mentioned on the food products:
- The name of the food
- List of ingredients
- Nutritional information
- Declaration regarding food additives
- Declaration regarding vegetarian or non-vegetarian
- Name and complete address of the packer or manufacturer
- Net quantity
- Tractability details like Lot No. /Code No. /Batch No.
- Date of manufacture or packing
- Country of origin for imported food
- Best Before and Use-by Date
- Instructions for use