Compulsory Registration Schemes (CRS)
Compulsory Registration Schemes (CRS)?
Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) is operating Compulsory Registration Schemes for notified goods as per BIS Rules, 1987 for the product category as notified by MeitY (Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology). In 2012, CRS Scheme was introduced by the ministry of Electronics and Information Technology
What is CRS?
- CRS means a Compulsory Registration scheme which was introduced by MeitY in 2012 for electronic and IT goods. At present there are 50 goods are categorized under the scheme.
- All people who are manufacturing, importing, selling, storing or distributing goods which are mentioned in the product list notified by the authority should apply for BIS Registration which confirms to the Indian Standard as specified in the order.
- Any person who is manufacturers of these products is required to apply for BIS registration after getting their product tested from BIS recognized labs.
- BIS then registers the manufacturers under its registration scheme who are permitted to declare that their articles conform to the Indian Standards.
- Once the person is registered they are allowed to use the Standard Mark as notified by the BIS and registration is allotted to the applicant.
- Compulsory Registration Schemes is operated under Chapter IVA of BIS Rules 1987.
Who Can Apply?
- Any third party manufacturers as notified in CRS order, located in India or outside India can apply for registration under CRS
- The separate registration number will be required for each and every location where the product is manufactured by the manufacturer.
- Each brand of a manufacturer will be required to get a separate registration number if it is manufactured at the same location.
What Will be the Registration Validity?
Standard Mark for CRS to be marked on the products and packaging after BIS registration is granted. CRS Registration is valid for two years and can be renewed if there is no change in the product and the standard.
Instruction before Making Online Application?
- Before applying online check if your product falls under the list of products covered under CRS.
- Submit a product for testing to BIS recognized lab as per MeitY guidelines
- At the time of online submission, the test report should not be old than 90 days.
- If the foreign applicant does not have any liaison office or branch office located in India have to appoint an Authorized Indian Representative as per the guidelines issued by BIS
- All applicants located in India have to submit an affidavit cum undertaking as per the prescribed format mentioned in guidelines of BIS.