The Reserve Bank of India issued a master circular on the scheme of penalties for bank branches...
The Reserve Bank of India recently constituted an internal working group to review guidelines on ownership and corporate structure of banks (Private Sector). The new guidelines would also be put on the RBI website for the views of all interested to comment on.
As per the RBI circular, the broad principles for the framework of policy relating to ownership and governance of private sector banks must ensure that:
According to the RBI guidelines dated 3rd January 2002, the entry capital for new private sector bank has to be 200 Crore Rupees which must be upgraded to 300 crore rupees over a period of three years. It is to ensure that all private sector banks have a minimum net worth of 300 crore rupees at all times.
According to the RBI guidelines dated 3rd February 2004, no single entity or group of related entities have shareholding/ control, directly or indirectly, in any bank more than 10 per cent of the paid-up capital of the private sector bank.
A higher level of acquisition will require prior approval from the RBI. It was considered essential that a single entity must be a well-established and regulated financial entity with good standing. As per the existing policy established, industrial houses will not be allowed to set up banks.
As a matter of desirable practise, not more than one member of a family or a close relative (as mentioned in Section 6 of the Companies Act, 1956) or an associate (partner, employee, director etc.) has been specified as a board member.
According to the GOI press note of 5th March 2004, the aggregate foreign investment in private sector bank from all sources (Foreign Direct Investment, Foreign Institutional Investors, Non- Resident Indian) can’t exceed 74%. Such a limit of 74% will be reckoned by taking the direct and the indirect holding. This leaves 26 per cent holding by residents at all times.
In case where RBI’s permission has been taken for transfer of shares of 5% and above, the bank must ensure that fit and proper criteria are continually complied with and give an annual certificate to the Reserve Bank of India of having undertaken continuing due diligence.
It may be noted that the RBI must effectively monitor banks at all times so that financial disasters can be averted. Failure of banks adversely affects the deposit holders who are mostly middle class and poor middle class. RBI’s effective monitoring with the Ministry of Finance is essential to protect the interests of the stakeholders.
RBI has provided directions which are covered in a few pages of which 4th and 5th points under the heading of “proposed guidelines for grant of acknowledgement” grab our attention. The clear meaning of the instructions under the said points responds with the accumulation of the voting power in wrong hands that can wreck the bank.
The recent events in the private banks have downgraded the financial health of the then best private banks.
To determine whether an applicant is fit and proper to hold the position of a shareholder, the RBI may take all the relevant factors, including, but not limited to-